Sunday, 4 October 2009

Sunday, 4th October 2009

4 weeks of the first half of the term are behind, another 3 to go.

After this I'm going to go to Poland for one week, something really to look forward to! I'll be also going to Ukraine for 2 days, and am planning to visit the village my mother's parents come from - Tuliglowy. All the Poles (around 800 people) from that village were relocated in 1945, that's when the Red Army entered this area for the second time, the war was over. They were relocated westwards, within the new boundaries of the country. Some of the villagers, including my grandparents actually travelled until the rails have finished, and there was nowhere else to go. The rails ended in Trzebnica, near Wroclaw. They settled down in one of the nearby villages called Wegrzynow, where some of them live until now.

As for more current issues, yesterday I went for my second AT lesson. I've never had a lesson at 8o'clock in the morning, but it was definitely worth it, more a recovery kind of work. Why is it so? Since my last lesson I got sick, accumulated many tensions, and basically exhausted myself, mainly on the mental level. Ah, and on the day before I played football with other teachers. I haven't played football for ca. 10 years and ended up very tired and achy, but in a good way. I need to move more.

I look forward to the next week. Who knows what lies ahead and what's going to happen? Last Thursday I had a fight in my classroom (just at the start of the lesson) which later escalated into the Maths department corridor. What was most shocking, was that it actually happened between Yr 10 boy and girl. In theory, teachers are not allowed any physical contact with pupils, but at that moment I had to respond and restrict the boy, who was actually banging girl's head on the door. Thanks God, nothing serious happened, but the repercussions of this incident will certainly come back to us in the next weeks, and will need to be addressed... I remained calm at the moment of incident, and if I handled that, I shouldn't have any bigger surprises, really, or should I? What can I learn from all those situations within the school. I feel as much 'learner' as 'teacher', which is good.

I really like the weekly pattern this job provides. Monday to Friday at work, then Saturday only for me, and Sunday half-on in terms of focus on the job. Every second Sunday we meet with London Circle. On Monday is the Movements class and on Saturday (or sometimes every second Sat) I have my AT lesson. The aim for this week is to see if I can handle one hour guitar between Tuesday and Thursday. I have doubts if I can handle more at this moment...

In the past few years I've done many different jobs, many of them were under-challenging. My current job provides me with more appropriate level of challenge.

I recently reflected on my purpose in being here, and how to make best use of what is available. Originally I thought that 5 years in London will be sufficient, but when I look ahead of time, of what might be possible, and necessary after I graduate, I am more and more convinced that I'll need to stay here one year longer. This is a tricky situation indeed. My professional development is not my only concern now, there is also the question of starting the family for example. Basically I'm here because what I need now cannot be provided in Poland, but being here also impedes other things. Ah...

Daily postings as I used to write are not possible anymore, but I'll keep posting every Sunday, and perhaps occasional short notes during the week.

Yesterday another book by Anthony of Sorouzh arrived. I've first heard/read about him in Lost Christianity. A of S has been a Metropolitan of Orthodox Church in England for many years, he served in Cathedral of the Dormition and All Saints, here in London.

Anthony of Sorouzh: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lK1v0L7djrQ

No comments: