Today was one of the most hot days in the Summer here in Manchester, Lancashire.
Yesterday a friend invited me to see the performances of the last day of the 'Urban Moves' dance festival today. This required little working hours rearrangements. So I go to the restaurant for 11-13 shift first. A very quiet time at work.
Then off to PIccadilly where I meet AT-mate Marie. She introduces me to Matthew and some friends from a Manchester Tango group. It's a most wonderful afternoon in the city centre. We see tango, break dance and excerpts from the work of one contemporary choreographer (Hofesh Shechter). It's a great weather for this kind of event, well, maybe not that great for dancers as it's really hot and one can see it makes it bit difficult for them. A great fun for me and others enjoyed it too ! I'm glad I didn't miss out on this because of the awkward work hours.
There were few things that stroke me in the today's performance, like intense moments of stillness in Tango, very moving, or seeing one group which focused more on self-expression of individuals and then group that was more of a group (all dancers are one dancer). All good fun. The most impressing moment however was when at one point the music stopped due to some technical problems, but there was no reaction from the performers at all, they just kept going without acompanimet as if nothing had happened, that lasted for about a minute. What a response.
At 18 o'clock I go back to the kitchen and stay there until it closes at 23:15. A good day of work with the sense of reaching the conclusion here. Although I already let go of the last theme work, it comes back at some points, which is welcomed.
At home. Quiet time, meditate. A simple way of showing me where & how I am. If I slip off the wave of attention it will come up immediately. Fortunately there's always opportunity to jump on the next wave coming, provided I notice I'm off the first wave, so seeing this lack of focus seems like actually quite a useful thing.
No JotD today, as I forgot it's Sunday and the job simply can't be done today. Apart from this the usual structure of the day in terms of practice.
It's 2:11 am
Monday, 28 July 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment