Monday, 22 December 2008

Travel

Unusual travel home this time. It's Saturday morning. A big hug to Marek before I leave, Belen is still asleep. First I catch the 8.30 am bus to Leeds Bradford airport. There was a change of schedule and now we leave from Manchester, but the buses are provided, so it's fine. There are 3 of them. On the bus I pick one of the two last places, and sit next to the guy (Kamil) that happens to be from Poland, traveling home to Wroclaw. Great! Immediately something clicks between us, the travel goes faster... At the check-out it turns out I have to pay extra for the guitar - £22.5. How wonderful, of course the price wasn't mentioned when I booked the ticket, another dissapointment and dodgy move by Jet2. The plane scheduled at 10.50 eventually leaves before 16 o'clock, but I take it as it goes, can't be bothered. Sleep through all the flight which is great (and without whisky!) I was planning to catch the night train from Prague, but arrange going by car to Wrocław with Kamil and his family, so it turns out to be quite a zigzag of a travel. I'm given the lift to the train station and say goodbye to Kamil and his family. We exchanged contacts in England and plan to meet in Leeds some time in January. Anyway, in Wrocław I have 3 hours before the train leaves. I hang around in McDonald having coffee and reading the weekly until 1.am until it closes, then stay in the main hall. Spontaneously I grab the guitar, tune it and play several pieces of Bach, Nueve Dias & Hope. The policeman looks suspiciously at my first, but I nod him and he nods back, fine. Wrocław train station - quite a peculiar place to be. The train to Katowice is due at 1.55 and it leaves on time. I can't really fall asleep, it must be that coffee. The travel drags. At one point I do a little DoA exercise. From there there's only one more train to Tychy. There's a new line running between the cities now, some of the stations are in use for the public again, for example one that is very close to my place 'Tychy Zachodnie'. I'm very happy to see this development, the travel is very comfortable, and the brand new train is nice and clean. It's dark and quiet in the streets, it must be Sunday! Exactly on 6 a.m. I knock on the door, my father opens. A toast and to bed.

No comments: